I tried turning the engine with a crow bar, but to no avail, so I put some Marvel Mystery Oil, and left it for about a week to go and do its mystery goodness.
This is a little bit later in the week. I filled each of the cylinders about the same amount for each. You can tell how cylinder one, three and four have about the same amount of fluid in them. They leaked down the least, while cylinder two and four leaked down a good amount. This pretty much helped convince me I wasn’t going to keep this engine. However, after letting it sit a week, I was finally able to turn the engine, pretty freely by using a crow bar on the flywheel.
There is one section of actually rust, and its rusted through, where the bottle jack belongs (it was in the cab). I will probably sand what I can down, and spray paint something to stop it from continuing to rust. This area isn’t some place you look at often, so its not as much of a concern to me.
Mr. Ron’s 1997 Ram was what I had pulled the truck up to around the shop with, so I thought it’d be neat to take a picture of two different generations of Dodges. And a dodge who was given life after this one was put out to pasture.
I spent a afternoon sort of “dusting” the truck. Just cleaning off cobwebs, cleaning all the windows (made it so much easier to move now that I could see when I was being dragged!). I also took off all four tires, cleaned them good, and sprayed down the front and rear brakes with brake cleaner. I also cleaned the hub caps. I will probably replace these, and hang the old ones somewhere, as the old ones have a lot color and paint because of sitting in the sun.
We took some rubbing compound and rubbed and cleaned away a small section of dust that was caked on the truck. You can see the true color of the truck in that little section. I decided I wasn’t going to clean it anymore, until I was ready to do something with the paint or drive it. Because at the moment, that dust is actually protecting the paint for me. So I’m going to let it do its job!
Closer look at the damage to front driver side fender. Its bent good enough the hood won’t close all the way.
The front driver fender from another angle. I don’t know for sure if that can be hammered out, or if I will have to just replace it.
The engine is out! It took my brother and I about 2 and a half hours to pull it. Interestly enough, the truck is much lighter, and easier to pull out from under the carport, and to get it back in.